Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. They are the largest engineering consultancy in the UK, and the 11th largest design firm in the world.
With an industry shortfall of 69,000 engineers per year and the need for 1m new engineers in 2020, Atkins understood that selecting a tech-savvy workforce would shape their future success.
Their vision was to create a seamless digital experience handled with a human touch that supported candidates with clear communication every step of the way.
Atkins wanted to challenge the status quo by transforming their recruitment process to discover exceptional candidates while boosting the attraction of their brand.
Drawing on insight and feedback from Atkins’ earlier recruitment campaigns, we customised an interactive six stage process for graduates and placements (apprentices faced four stages) designed to reflect the roles they had applied for.
- Stage 1: A website degree matcher that aligned talent to opportunity in minutes.
- Stage 2: A video Situational Judgement Test (SJT) that gave applicants a realistic preview of life at Atkins while improving candidate experience and face validity.
- Stage 3: Online application forms with personalised emails to quicken the process.
- Stage 4: Psychometric tests for graduates with an emphasis on human interaction.
- Stage 5: Telephone interviews conducted by people to create a more personal touch.
- Stage 6: Engaging assessment centres for both graduates and apprentices.
- +66 NPS compared to an industry standard of +24
- 100% candidate issues resolved in the same day
- 18,710 personalised candidate emails sent
- 5,021 coaching or feedback calls made
- 97% graduate retention rate after the first year
- 91% apprentice retention rate after the first year
“The innovative selection process we now have in place has exceeded our initial expectations and objectives.”
Early Careers Manager, Atkins